Re: LTR question, high voltage wire.

Original poster: "R Heidlebaugh by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rheidlebaugh-at-zialink-dot-com>

on 10/19/01 7:08 AM, Tesla list at tesla-at-pupman-dot-com wrote:

> Original poster: "Jim Mora by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <jmora-at-jetlink-dot-net>
>
> Hello Terry and All,
>
> If the Cornell caps can take the voltage swing, which seems likely, this was
> an
> obvious over sight on my part. I paid 3x for the Panasonic from Digi-Key
> for equal
> strings. Poof :-')
>
> Given adding the 15 nf to the cap bank (35 nf total -at-15/120), in your
> experience,
> how well will this LTR work with an air blast gap vrs the standard resonant
> tuning? Performance? Also, I'm still curious if I can use HV wire to connect
> between the xformers and the safety gaps, all else will be flat copper. I am
> assuming this is only important in the tank; but, we all know what assume
> means:-)
> All opinions welcome.
>
> Thanks Much,
> Jim Mora
>
> Terry Fritz wrote:
>
>> Hi Jim,
>>
>> The caps are 0.150uF not 1.5uF.  If you put 10 in a row you get a 20kV cap
>> at 0.015uF or 15nF.  15 in a row gives 0.010uF or 10nF.  Isn't that the
>> value you wanted?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Terry
>>
>> At 12:16 AM 10/18/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>>> Hi Terry and fellow coilers,
>>>
>>> Ok, so I have found out what an LTR cap bank is ( a T. Frizt post). As I
>>> understand it, the bank is set at 1.5 times the capacity of the
>>> reasonate frequency of the NST resoanace cap bank, additionally
>>> protecting the NST and adding more energy.
>>>
>>> So that leaves me with (15) 1.5uf 2k CD caps from the geek group, which
>>> are not of value in my present coil configuration unless you have some
>>> idaes...
>>> Snip>

Jim. The circuit to the capacitor, primary, and spark-gap are high current
circuits. High current wire of high voltage insulation is hard to get. I use
the center wire of RG8 coax and put it inside of 5/16 clear plastic tubing
to make high voltage/high current wire to make my connections. It works for
me.
    Robert H