Re: LTR question, high voltage wire.

Hi Jim,

At 11:45 PM 10/18/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>Hello Terry and All,
>
>If the Cornell caps can take the voltage swing, which seems likely, this
was an
>obvious over sight on my part. I paid 3x for the Panasonic from Digi-Key for
>equal
>strings. Poof :-')

The caps the Geek group sells are about 1/3 the cost of the Panasonics I
used to sell on a dollar per stored joule basis.  I stopped selling the
Panasonics since the Geek caps are a far better deal!

>Given adding the 15 nf to the cap bank (35 nf total -at-15/120), in your
>experience,
>how well will this LTR work with an air blast gap vrs the standard resonant
>tuning?

It should give a longer arcs and run smoother.  There are many variables,
but I have always had much better performance from LTR coils.  Resonant
coils sometimes may "seem" better but I usually bet the firing voltage is
resonating up higher than it "should".

>Performance? Also, I'm still curious if I can use HV wire to connect
>between the xformers and the safety gaps, all else will be flat copper. I am
>assuming this is only important in the tank; but, we all know what assume
>means:-)

Only the high current (main gap, primary cap, and primary coil) loop needs
the heavy wiring.  The transformer wires are only 120mA so they can be hair
thin aside from the voltage.  The primary loop will probably see maybe 500
to 1000 amp peaks!!  A little resistance there can add up to a big loss.
Your flat copper sounds perfect!

Cheers,

	Terry