Re: tube coils

In a message dated 10/10/01 10:44:02 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

Greg,

I don't know much about x-ray equip, but my guess is that most
of those are rectifier tubes, which are not useful for tube coils.
Tube coils need either triodes, tetrodes, or pentodes.  Triodes are
best.  The tube needs to have at least 3 electrodes so it can behave
as a switch or amplifier, and therefore as an oscillator.  A tube
coil is a Class C power oscillator coupled to a resonator.  A tube
for a tube coil needs to be a high voltage, high power tube such
as a transmitting tube or an HV industrial power tube.  Examples
are 833A, 810, 811, 805, 304TL, 4-1000A, HF-300, 3-500Z, etc.

I often use a feature I call the "staccato mode", to give the
tube coil a pulsed output, which adds to its "efficiency", and
interest.  This simply disables coil operation for a selectable
number of 60Hz cycles.

I have some schematics at:
    http://hometown.aol-dot-com/futuret/page3.html

Click on the links for tube coils.