tube coils

Original poster: "Mr Gregory Peters by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <s371034-at-student.uq.edu.au>

Hello all,

Recently, I have been working late at uni and have therefore had the
chance to explore the piles of junk laying around. Last night I came
across a box full of literally HUNDREDS of vacuum tubes. Most of these
appear to be spares for our old x-ray diffractometer. Some of the tubes
are quite large (over 8" tall) and are rated at 150kV DC. Now, I have
no idea how tubes work or how to make a tube coil. What kind of tube is
required for tesla coil use. Will any tube do? I am allowed to have all
of these if I want them. I'm also allowed to have the old (from the
50's or 60's) x-ray machine itself! I also found an old Hewlett Packard
computer tape drive cabinet from the late 80's. It will make a perfect
housing for the control circuitry for my pole pig.

Cheers,

Greg Peters
Department of Earth Sciences,
University of Queensland, Australia
Phone: 0402 841 677
http://www.geocities-dot-com/gregjpeters

"Why is it, that the level of fun created by an activity is directly
proportional to the danger levels experienced, and inversely
proportional to its legality?"