Re: Secondary Coil design

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com>

In a message dated 11/15/01 1:04:29 PM Central Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Hello List,
>
> I have noticed a failure pattern in all of my secondary coils and am
> searching for a solution. Each one has had a failure within the
> bottom 25 turns (shorts between turns).

Thanks!
Gregory

Gregory,

I ran into this same problem with my "Medusa" Tesla system,
which is driven by a properly ballasted 10 kVA pole pig, and the
only way that I was able to correct the problem (after scraping
away the burnt, carbonized cardboard - Sonotube form) was to re-
duce the primary/ secondary coupling. I simply pulled off the da-
magedwindings from the bottom and left the secondary's elevation
the same, so this effectively reduced the coupling.

Sparkin' in Memphis,
David Rieben