RE: Secondary Coil design

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>

Hi Malcolm:

Terry's voltage gradient experiment showed that, particularly for a
top-loaded coil, the voltage gradient is rather close to linear.  See
http://www.hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyPapers/NSVPI/NVSPI.htm

Gary Lau
MA, USA

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

The highest voltage gradient per turn occurs in the bottom portion of
the coil. Polythermaleze wire should <not> fail in that fashion so it
suggests to me that the wire insulation is not the best for this
application. I have tested polyesterimide wire to 8kVDC between two
adjacent wires (standard insulation thickness for 0.8mm wire). It is
rare that 1kV/turn will be exceeded in the base region except on high
energy coils.