Re: 555 timer

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Pyrotrons-at-aol-dot-com>

Just for the record, I'm using a 555 to drive a power MOSFET (heavy duty
switching transistor) for a powerful flyback transformer driver AND Solid
State Tesla Coil.

I am pleased to say that Rick Harris built my circuit, although he reports
getting only 1.5" from a flyback. We think the flyback resonates at too high
a frequency for the circuit to drive.......

Anyhow, I'm using the circuit for a SSTC, the secondary coil is 300kHz (37
gauge on 2" x 12" pipe) and the primary coil is some wire wrapped around the
bottom of the secondary.

I am getting 1.5" arcs to conductive objects with about 60VDC switched into
the primary via the MOSFET at the secondary's 4th harmonic (breath!) at
around 80 or 90kHz. Kinda cool, but I am replacing the 555 with a different
chip so I can run at the secondary's fundamental frequency -at- 300kHz and get
much better performance.

If you're interested, the design is on our website at www.hvguy-dot-com, click on
"FETdriver.html" at the very top in purple colored font.

Good luck 555'ing, if you're serious about getting into it I will mail you
some chips for free, contact me off list.

Justin Hays
KC5PNP
Email: pyrotrons-at-aol-dot-com
Website: www.hvguy-dot-com