Re: VTTC - audio modulation

Class B just means that the tube is "on" for half the sine wave and off
(i.e. cutoff) for half the sine wave.
Class A means the tube is on all the time. Class C means the tube is off
most of the time.

If you want a linear amplifier (i.e. amplifies both positive and negative
half cycles) AND you want to run Class B (for better efficiency than class
A), you need two tubes, one essentially amplifying the positive half
cycles, the other the negative.  if you don't care about distortion, or you
are a narrow band application (i.e. AM transmitter, VTTC), you could run a
single tube in class B. The output (if there was no resonant tank) would
look like the output of a half wave rectifier.

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Herwig Roscher by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <herwig.roscher-at-gmx.de>