RE: Sphere/Toroid Comparison Chart

Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>

Terry -

I entered your coil's data into the JHCTES Ver 3.2 program to see what it
comes up with for a toroid. To get the 87.66 Khz the program came up with 29
pf for the capacitance. This is about 12% less than the graph shows (space
33 pf) for an 8 x 30 toroid. On my web site I mention that the graph
capacitance would be reduced about 20% when placed on the TC secondary. It
appears this may be too high a percentage. We will have to wait until more
data is obtained.

Did your coil test about 87 Khz when it was operating? Did you test the
secondary with toroid by connecting a funtion generator to the bottom of the
secondary? I don't remember seeing this information on your web sites.

I was able to run the E-Tesla5 version OK but I get a "bad command" message
when I try the Ver 6. Have other coilers had this trouble? I agree that your
E-Tesla5 is an excellent program and is a great supplementary program for
programs like the JHCTES for finding the actual secondary terminal
capacitance.

The secondary terminal capacitance is an input for the JHCTES program but
only a graph with a rough capacitance approximation is given. A much better
capacitance approximation is now available when coilers use the E-Tesla
program.

John Couture