Re: 'Nother First Light, but........(ok!)

Original poster: "Erik Byng by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <e_byng-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Well, there goes "low" power testing/tuning.
*darn*
:-)
Thanks Ya'll.

Erik
p.s.  Barton, using that 5-6 turn tap to compensate for the cap, wouldnt you
still need to adjust the gap to match the cap/coil??

----Original Message Follows----

Hi Erik,
I see one and maybe two problems. First, cap size vs. 720watt transformer.
This will take a
quite a while to charge up between bangs. As a comparison, imagine running
a 120bps sync gap. At
each electrode alignment, the voltage charges only to 3.6kVp. Obvisously,
the gap would run
eratic and miss many firings. This fix here is to decrease the capacitance
value.

The other "maybe" problem is if your tapped at 13 turns on your 13 turns
primary. With the
0.119uF cap, you should be around 5 or 6 turns (assuming 24" x 3" toroid
(you mentioned 12"
radius)).

With the cap size reduced, the primary turns will increase. Assume 12 turn
tap. This will put
you in the range of about a 0.025uF cap size. This would bring the firing
voltage to 13kVp and
would be sufficient for running. You may even want to decrease the cap size
further, but then
you will need to add turns to your primary with nothing else changed. I
guess all this depends
if your cap size can be decreased or not. If not, then a higher current
transformer is another
alternative.

Hope this helps,
Barton B. Anderson

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Erik Byng by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<e_byng-at-hotmail-dot-com>

 > Hi there list.
 >
 > 'Nother First Light post. :-)
 >
 > these just something not quite right, however..
 > here's the new coil specs..
 >
 > 9kV/30mA Franceformer NST (just untill its tuned, then I switch to a
 > 12kV/60mA)
 > Single gap SG, with a 12v muffin type fan.  Steel contacts.  Itll be used
 > untill I find the time to finish the RSG i've got sitting on the garage
 > floor.
 > Geek-Group type SW bucket cap -at- roughly 0.119uF.
 > (or a 0.133uF MMC w/ the 12kV NST)
 > 13 turn primary with 0.25 Copper Tubing, 0.25 inch spacing on 6 PVC
 > supports.
 > 1036 turn secondary, 8.1" by 28" form, 22awg magnet wire, 11 coats of
Behr