RE: Fast ground rod

Original poster: "Loudner, Godfrey by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <gloudner-at-SINTE.EDU>

Hi all

Well I guess I should have wrote that it was my dictum. I would hate to
search the archives for the listings which led me to form this dictum. It
was simply a series of listings which seemed to be saying that big coils
needed big power supplies. I was certainly a believer. After getting a 10
inch diameter secondary form Marc Metlicka and seeing the huge size of the
form, my impression was complete. I decided that I would need my 14.4kV/5kVA
pole pig for the power supply. I am far from completing my pig system, but I
am thinking about Marc's suggestion of using a triggered gap. My adult
experience with tesla coils is limited to diameters not exceeding four
inches. A was aware of Terry's big research coil using a 15kV/60mA NST, but
I just assumed that he did not want long streamers because they would get in
the way of making measurements. So I was very surprised when I saw Terry's
big coil in action.

If you look at John's formula for streamer length, it says that streamer
length is only a function of wallplug watts. Yes sir,
that's what it says. When someone off the list (now on the list) told me
that he had a 12 inch diameter secondary, I told him that he had to load up
on NSTs or get a pig. Rick got five 15kV/30mA NSTs, but he did say that he
wanted to start off with over 100mA. Well I always have said, "how could you
be so wrong about something that you thought was so right."

Godfrey Loudner