Re: Fast ground rod

Hi all,

On 25 Jul 01, at 11:28, Tesla list wrote:

<FutureT-at-aol-dot-com>

> In a message dated 7/25/01 9:43:29 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> writes:
>
> > Original poster: "Loudner, Godfrey by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> >  <gloudner-at-SINTE.EDU>
> >
> >  Hello Terry
> >
> >  When someone comes on the list stating that they are going to use a
> >  15kV/60mA NST as a power supply for a tesla coil having a diameter of
about
> >  10 inches, the usual advice is to get a pig or equivalent because you
won't
> >  have enough power to even cause the toroid to breakout.
>
> Godfrey, all,
>
> I wonder how that view developed?  I often use a 6" x 24" secondary
> with a 12/30 NST with excellent results, so a 10" dia coil for a 15/60
> would seem very reasonable to me.
>
> John Freau
> --
>
> Your coil is
> >  certainly a counterexample to such a dictum. Can you say something about
> why
> >  your large diameter coil is working so well with a small power supply.
> >
> >  Godfrey Loudner

I too wonder where that idea came from. As Bert Pool can attest, the
transformer I use for my 10" coil is smaller than most NSTs of any
rating. It was photographed last year throwing sparks over 5' in
length with an oblate topload measuring 10" thick with a 19"
diameter. The bottom line is: ability to breakout is dependent on
primary energy and rep rate takes over from there. The capacitive
basically suck what you like from it within the limitations its
leakage/ballast inductance will allow for the capacitor being used.

Malcolm