Re: Secondary Voltages

A per foot number isn't particularly appropriate...  For nonuniform fields
over hundred kV or so(which a TC is), spark length and voltage aren't very
well correlated, with things like electrode capacitance, available current,
and field shape being big big factors.

Most tesla coils develop somewhere between 250,000 and 750,000 volts on
their top load, with the vast majority probably being at the bottom end of
the spectrum.  It is very hard to get something to 750 kV without breakout
occurring, and once the spark forms, the voltage drops dramatically.

I think half a million volts is a safe number to bandy about (few people
will prove you wrong, and those that can will understand the subtleties of
HV, and not hassle you about it in the first place).

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Stolz, Mark by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<Mark.Stolz-at-st-systems-dot-com>