Re: I Think I Messed up!

Original poster: "Wells Campbell by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <wellscampbell-at-onebox-dot-com>

One observation, if i may, as I was just winding secondaries last night

(even though I haven't been following the thread, so this may be redundant)

by rough guesstimate, 28 AWG wound for 28" is probably more than 2200
turns. I was winding 16" long resonators with 27 AWG and getting about
1000 turns, which seems pretty average for coils, and would definitely
work.

(62 turns per inch x 16" = 992 turns, turns per inch obtained by wrapping
a pencil tightly for an inch. very accurate. )

you might consider somehow shortening your secondary. This would lower
the secondary inductance (as well as the resistance of that much wire)
and you wouldn't have to use as much primary inductance to tune. Perhaps
you could cut it in half, then you would have 2 matched 14" coils, perfect
for doing the "remote oscillation" demonstration, and other tricks. you
would still have nerarly 1000 turns on each form, 14" each. Small, I
know, but I think that a longer coil could benefit from heavier wire
/ space winding.

--
Wells Campbell
wellscampbell-at-onebox-dot-com - email