Re: Toroid Modeling

In a message dated 8/27/01 2:18:06 AM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Using a 3" x 15" (5:1 ratio secondary coil), I ran sims on different
>  toroid sizes starting with a minor diameter of 1" and
>  increasing up from there. As you know, when the toroid is placed upon
>  the secondary, the top load capacitance varies
>  with proximity to the secondary or walls and objects. It appears,
>  regardless of minor diameter, as the major diameter is
>  increased (increased proximity to the secondary) the top load
>  capacitance increases until the top load capacitance equals
>  the "free-space" capacitance of the toroid, then the top load
>  capacitance begins to decrease.

Bart,

Normally, as a toroid is made much larger, the secondary will
be made somewhat taller to match, the power input will be
increased, and the room also has to be larger to accommodate
the longer sparks.  Does your simulation take these factors into
consideration?  Also, why does the capacitance decrease after
a certain size in your simulations?  Is it because the toroid is
close to the floor or walls, etc.?  If so, it seems your results
would change if the room was a different size?  I'd appreciate
it if you could go into a little more detail about your simulations
to address these issues.

John Freau