Toroid Modeling

Hi All,  I tried to send this during list down time. It must have been
eaten, so resending. Kudo's to Chip for getting us up and running again!

I've been running some simulations with E-Tesla6 regarding toroid
capacitance based on size and proximity to the
secondary. I'm barely into data collection and decided to start modeling
incrementing secondary diameters by 1 inch starting
with a 3 inch secondary and working up to something on the large size
(maybe 20 inch).

I've noticed something interesting and thought I'd share.

Using a 3" x 15" (5:1 ratio secondary coil), I ran sims on different
toroid sizes starting with a minor diameter of 1" and
increasing up from there. As you know, when the toroid is placed upon
the secondary, the top load capacitance varies
with proximity to the secondary or walls and objects. It appears,
regardless of minor diameter, as the major diameter is
increased (increased proximity to the secondary) the top load
capacitance increases until the top load capacitance equals
the "free-space" capacitance of the toroid, then the top load
capacitance begins to decrease.

I put together some graphs at   http://www.classictesla-dot-com/topc/  (fast
The blue bars identify the major diameter. The purple line indicates the
top load capacitance reduction as a percent. For
example, 50% would indicate 1/2 the top load capacitance. Note in each
graph, when the purple line nears 0%, this indicates
the toroid size and position is allowing the full capacitance to be
seen. In each case, there is a point with every toroid minor
diameter, where the major diameter can be found so that the free-space
capacitance can be seen by the system.

This has nothing to do with power to breakout. It's simply an
observation.

Anyway, I thought this was interesting and wanted to share. There's so
much more data to be collected, but this is a slow process that could go
on for months.

Bart