Re: 12" Secondary?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com>

In a message dated 4/27/01 4:50:52 PM Central Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> I just recently got a 5' piece of 12" diameter(actually 12.5") PVC pipe.
> I'm in the process of building my first TC, which will have a 2.5" secondary
> wound with 30AWG magnet wire.  I believe 30AWG would be too small for this
> 12" tube and was thinking more like 20AWG for it.  My question is, will my
> 15/30 NST be enough to drive this?  Or do I need more power? R-R-R (think
> Tim Allen)

Hi Mark,

No, a 15/30 NST isn't nearly big enough do drive a 12" dia.
secondary coil. A secondary of that magnitude would be in
"pole pig" territory. Actually, your 2.5" secondary wound
with #30 AWG wire is just about right for a 15/30 NST power
supply. Save the 12" PVC pipe for when you have a little more
experience under your belt and are ready to build a big pole
pig driven coil.

<<BTW - Are there any coilers out there from Houston? >>

Sorry,  I live in the Memphis, TN. area.

<<Mark Stolz >>
<<Houston, TX >>

David Rieben