Re: ballast bobbin

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

<CTCDW-at-aol-dot-com>

> Hello all,
>
> I am going to wind a ballast soon, and I need some learned advice. I would
> like to wind this coil on a bobbin, rather than on the core for 2 reasons.
> First, it would be more convenient to do so, and second, I am concerned about
> the temperature of the core possibly melting the insulation (its THHN wire,
> with a pvc, or whatever they are usisng now) Any experiences with this? what
> should I make the bobbin out of if I use one?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Chris W

Hi Chris....

there aree 2 reasons to wind the coil on the bobin ...

1. the simplicity of doing so ( no core legs in the way) and
2. the ability to raise the coil a bit upwards to increase amp flow to the
load.

the heating problems you are thinking about rarely happen in the core (
unless the
core is severely saturated) its the wire that heats up most often due to over
current flow.

Scot D