Re: Elkonite

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 4/26/01 10:24:36 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <
> Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com>
>
> Hello all,
>
> With some of the recent talk on brass vs tungsten electrodes
> ( I agree, tungsten is the best, but brass will do ), I noticed a
> webpage a few months ago that showed a coil whose SG elec-
> trodes were make of threaded copper/tungsten alloy ( elkonite )
> bolts. I wrote him asking where he got these elkonite "bolts" but
> never got any response. Unfortunately, I don't know the URL, but
> I was hoping someone out there may know about this. I'm sure
> elkonite may be purchased in plain roundstock from some indus-
> trial supply companies, like Mcmaster-Carr, but I've never seen
> any tungsten alloys that were precision machined with threads.
> The threads make for much simpler mounting and securing of the
> electrodes and if I could locate some elkonite bolts, I could try re-
> placing my all-brass electrodes on my coil system with the elkonite
> ones (if the price was right).
>
> Sparking in Memphis,
> David Rieben

Hi David!
You might try:

RESISTANCE WELDING SUPPLY, INC. 727  38th St. Fairfield, AL 35064-2336
www.rwsweb-dot-com/main.htm

They carry a wide variety of bars, rods, hexes and flats in many Copper
Alloys including elkonite. They also do custom machining etc. I don't know
what their minimum order is, but it might be a place to start.

Matt D.