Re: Elkonite

Original poster: "Dr. Duncan Cadd by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <dunckx-at-freeuk-dot-com>

Hi David, All!

>With some of the recent talk on brass vs tungsten electrodes
>( I agree, tungsten is the best, but brass will do ), I noticed a
>webpage a few months ago that showed a coil whose SG elec-
>trodes were make of threaded copper/tungsten alloy ( elkonite )
>bolts. <snip>

If all else fails, you might try model engineering supply houses, e.g.
steam engineers etc.  They sometimes use a tungsten-copper alloy
simply known as "heavy metal" which is around 80% tungsten, balance
copper, to make balance weights for rotating parts in all manner of
things, e.g. model internal combustion engine cranks etc.  It has to
be machinable for this, so I'd expect you could tap a thread on it
with a HSS tap-and-die set with plenty of cutting fluid, though you
might need carbide.  Probably has similar electrical properties to
elkonite, it may even be the same thing by a different name.  But I
doubt you can buy bolts ready made from such a source.

Dunckx
Geek#1113 (G-1)