Re: PTs

Original poster: "Jim Lux by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Friday, April 13, 2001 10:24 PM
Subject: PTs

> Original poster: "Christopher Boden by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>

> I have several PT's 2 rated at 14.4kV at 1kVA with a 120 primary and a
whole
> truckload of 2400VAC-120VAC 500VA (or are they 1K...hmmm Mark? you
> remember?) and I want to test them to see if they work.

I imagine that the 2400:120 (i.e. 20:1) transformers have a fairly good
insulation rating from HV to LV winding (because of needing to withstand
lightning impulses, etc.)  If they are, say, 90 kV BIL rated, then you can
wire them with their HV in series, and their LV sides in parallel to get
higher output voltages, without worrying about breakdown from winding to
core or primary.  If the HV side connections both come out on longish
bushings, then it is likely you have this situation.  If they have only one
HV bushing, then the other side is likely grounded to the can (for use in a
Wye type situation), and you won't be able to do this.