Re: Newbie with a few questions...

Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <tesla123-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Hi Mike,

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Gary Abusive by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <gary_abusive-at-hotmail-dot-com>

> >Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson by way of Terry Fritz
> ><twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <tesla123-at-pacbell-dot-net>
>
> >With sw caps, make sure there isn't carona eminating. A lot of power can
> >leak there.
>
> I've heard of this, but luckily, so far with mine, I can't see any
> problems. Not even a hint even when the lights are out. I AM getting a
> visible corona off the top windings of my secondary though:

Anytime you raise the top load above the windings, corona and breakout can
easily occur off the top of the
secondary. To minimize this, the toroid is typically just above the top of
the secondary. Where coilers
actually end up varies a few inches, but the idea is to somewhat shield the
top of the secondary driving
all the power to the streamers in the top load.

> ( yeah, I know I spelled femto wrong ;) I suppose it could be the problem
> you were referring to regarding toroid cord size. Think that might have
> to get looked into tonight as well.

I don't think so after looking at your photo. Your first problem is
obvious. The top load position and
size. I would use a toroid (approx. 2" x 8") and lower it to where the
bottom of the toroid is nearly even
with the top windings. This should stop the corona and power loss at that
point. Whenever you change or
reposition components, always retune LpCp.

Take care,
Bart