Re: 2nd Coil FIrst Light???

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <uncadoc-at-juno-dot-com>

Hi Brian,  Your coil sounds good!  But, I think the spark gap is the
culprit.  Have you tried your coil using a Virginia coilers Multiple type
spark gap, or for that matter, a single adjustable spark gap?  What gap
spacing are you running and what is the number of points and spacing that
you use on your gap?   Sounds to me that your spark gap is the problem if
all else is in order.  By the way, you do not need a 10 gauge wire to tap
your primary.  We are running three times the power of your coil and only
use a 18ga. stranded cable to tap it.   You may also have one cap in your
strand broken down.   Also, that sounds like a mighty big toroid for your
coil.  We can get 30" sparks from your size of coil with no toriod at
all. The size of the Toroid is not the magic answer.  Other parameters
must be correct or near correct and adjustable to get proper results.
JMO.   Al.

On Thu, 12 Apr 2001 08:17:08 -0600 "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
writes:
> Original poster: "raven0075 by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <raven0075-at-home-dot-com>
>
> Running a 15kva 60ma NST.
> Primary 13 turns 1/4" copper tube with 3/4" spacing.
> Using 10 awg wire to tap primary.
> Secondary 8.5, 22awg with 933 + turns for 23".
> Caps MMC 3 parallel strings of.056uf 1600V metal Polypro, x12 each
> per string
> for a total of 19,200volts.
> Toroid 14" diameter X 4" high.
> Using a static spark gap blown by my 3.0 horse shop vac.
>
> I was able to get 12" solid 1/4 to 1/2 thick streamer to a ground
> post once I
> tuned it.
>
> I am kinda disappointed thought it would do 2 to 3 feet.
>
> Do I need more power?? or a bigger toroid.  I should be able to get
> 2 to 3 feet
> out of the coil that size.
>
> If I put 2 15kv NST's in parallel will this make much of a
> difference??
>
> Or do you need a pole transformer to get this performance.
>

> Thanks
> Brian W.

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno-dot-com/get/tagj.