From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2000 8:57 AM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Polyurethane drying time?

Original poster: "Jon Rosenstiel" <jonr-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Hi,

I just finished putting a heavy coat of polyurethane on my new secondary,
(it's still turning in the winder). I see that it will need another coat.
>From past experience I know that the first coat will glaze, (looks like a
dry lake bed), if I apply the second coat before the first coat has
thoroughly dried/hardened.

I want to avoid the "dried lake bed" look. How long do you guys think I
should allow  the poly to dry before I recoat it? I do know that 24 hours
isn't long enough and that 6 months is more than long enough.

By the way, I live in southern California, daytime temperature around 80F.
(Good drying weather)

Thanks,

Jon