New toroid ?

Jim  Lux, Terry and other,

I know some of you have good notion of electrostatic.

I note that big HV lab use big toroid sometime of strange form  and most
of the time they are assembled with convex round plate ( Tesla use half
sphere on his big toroid).

Last time I was at Reno Depot ( Home Depot in Canada) I find a stock of
plug for electric box, they are round, convex, probably chrome plated,
between 3/4" and 2".

If we make a toroid in wood, plastic or foam covered it with metal
screen and soldered the plug especially the 2" one all over, could it be
superior to dryer duck.

Luc Benard