Biggg coil, big current solved

John Freau, All

 Thanks for the responses to the 300+ amp current consumption problem I
was having with the Biggg coil project.    As noted, it's best to change
one thing at a time in a Tesla Coil system so as to note improvements &
problems.  This system was built using all different components than my
other systems, except for the ballast reactance I used. Oops!  This coil
was using way too much power for the 14' sparks it was giving.   Several
transformers shorted due to extreme physical EMF that was encountered in
the windings.

  Thanks to John Freau, he led me to the problem, and it was an oversight
on my part.  The reactive ballast was saturating big time.  At one point
I had installed my 225 arc welder to bypass the ballast, but I got a
large (414 volt) reactive voltage rise on the transformer, so I took it
out.

  Today I hooked up my two 7200 volt 15 kVA pigs in series for 14.4 kV,
and using the welder for ballast.
The charging current thru the 0.173 uF cap is now only 8 amps  (primary
transformer current)  compared to 155 amps before.  Big drop!  This is
without Rotary gap operation & no sparks.  I was wanting to use my 23 kV
transformer for operation, but since it's now toast, will try this pig
combo for 14.4 kV instead.  I am now also able to get the voltage up to
250 volts at the pigs compared to only 150 volts when the ballast were
saturating.

I'll update progress when I can operate the coil again, today is a little
windy for operation.

Coiling again in Oklahoma

Kevin E.
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!