Re: Hosfelt snubber caps

Hi Dave,

	We did a lot of work with the voltage ratings of MMCs.  These caps can
easily withstand the rated DC voltage as a peak AC voltage in Tesla coil
use.  So 7 caps at 3000 volts each will stand 21000 volts which is the peak
rating for a 15kV NST.  Many of us actually run them well beyond that
voltage rating with very few problems.  The caps are conservatively rated.
Being able to withstand twice their rated DC voltage is not uncommon.

Film poly caps will also self heal.  When a blow through happens, they
happily heal themselves and keep on going.  It is not uncommon for a poly
film cap to take upwards of 100000 overvoltage events.  This is a far cry
from rolled and mica caps that are dead once they blow out.  I have seen
poly caps removed from normal service that have the dielectrics shot up
like Swiss cheese, yet they still continue to operate.

In the homemade rolled cap days, everyone designed the dielectrics to 3X
the voltage.  However, that is not at all necessary with commercial poly
film caps.

Cheers,

	Terry