Re: MOT

In a message dated 10/7/00 11:55:44 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Original poster: Hhchicken1-at-aol-dot-com
>
>  Hello list!
>  My MOT has three windings on it - one for 240v mains, one HV winding and
> also
>  one with about 10 turns which I assume to be low voltage, but extremely
high

>  current - filament for magnetron?
>  If I plugged 240vac into this third winding, and drew HV out from either
the

>  primary or HV secondary, do you think the MOT would fry?  If not, this
would

>  presumably give a very high voltage and low current output, which is
>  considerably safer than the 2000V, ~1A output given in its usual
>  configuration.
>
>  Thanks in advance for any advice,
>      Henry Hall

Henry,

That's a good thought but it won't work.  You will be violating the
volts per turn rule !!   This rule states that for a certain core cross
sectional area, you need a certain number
of turns to support a certain voltage.  If you put more than 2.5
volts (or whatever it's rated for) into the filament winding, the
MOT core will saturate, and the MOT will draw excessive current.
You'd be putting about 10 times the allowable voltage into the
winding.... this is a no-no, and your circuit breaker will blow
instantly since you'll be basically shorting the house wiring.

MOT's barely have enough core mass and turns to handle
the normal 120 volts into the primary.  Even putting 240 volts
into the 120 volt primary is not acceptable.  It would saturate,
draw a lot of current, get hot, and be inefficient, and probably
burn up quite quickly.

John Freau