Re: MOT

In a message dated 10/7/00 12:07:16 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

<< about 10 turns which I assume to be low voltage, but extremely high
 current - filament for magnetron?
 If I plugged 240vac into this third winding, and drew HV out from either the
 primary or HV secondary, do you think the MOT would fry?  >>

Hi Henry,

If you hook 240 volts to this ~10 turned filament winding, get ready for some
serious fire works, assuming that your circuit overcurrent protection doesn't
almost  instantly open your power supply circuit to keep you from "frying"
your MOT ( or yourself ).The 120 volt or 240 volt input winding is wound with

a few hundred turns of wire for proper inductance at the 50 or 60 Hz voltage.

This filament winding is of no use in a Tesla coil circuit ( at least not in
spark driven coil ). In a word, don't try it!

Safe coiling in Memphis,
David Reiben