From: Tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Saturday, October 07, 2000 2:14 PM
Subject: chokes

Original poster: "Jeremiah" <jmeizis-at-metallicafan-dot-com>

I have been messing with my little ignition coil setup with the light
dimmer and i keep burning them up.  I thought about how people put safety
gaps and rf chokes on the lines of their regular size coils and i thought
that maybe i had the same problem with rf getting back through the lines???
If i were to make my own chokes how would i go about doing that.  I have
seen pictures of chokes on peoples web pages where they say that they have
wraped wire around pvc pipe and made air chokes.  Would that work, could i
wrap it on a small piece kind of like winding it on a toroidial coil?  What
kind of wire would i want to use?  How would i calculate inductance and
stuff like that.  What are the advantages of winding it like so ------  or
toroidial 0?
Thanks
Jeremiah