RE: Filters & Chokes

You only run yours at 120V?  Heck, I always set my dial to "11" for 140V
(minus considerable IIR losses).  And yes, I do pull a lot of Amps from the
wall.  If I run for more than several minutes, the Vaseline in my re-potted
NST will get pretty runny, but overall the NST has been a trouper.  When I
was fooling around trying to get my sync RSG working, I used a .03uF tank
cap.  That caused so much current to be drawn that the 20A-rated PTC
thermistor in line with my variac burst into flames and the 20A breaker
would trip after about 15 seconds.

I've thought it was strange that I seem to be the only one to be blessed
with such a "problem".  I wonder if it's related to my NST being a Jefferson
Electric model, which has a different, non-removable shunt configuration
than most other makes.  Can anyone else with a Jefferson Electric 15/60
share what their input current is?

Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA

>Original poster: Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>
>
>Hi Gary,
>
>	Wow!  What a great tidbit of information!  I always was puzzled by
your
>coil's great performance and how "very" hot your resistors were getting.
>Looks like you have the first SLTR (Saturating Larger Than Resonant) coil!
>If you can run a 15/60 at 184mA RMS I won't feel so afraid of running mine
>at 85mA ;-)))  You may want to consider putting a line fuse on the input of
>the NST to prevent the thing from really going nuclear.  I would think:
>
>15000 x 0.184 / 120 = 23 amps!!
>
>I guess a 20 amp fast blow fuse would be right!?  I am very surprised it
>can take that.  I wonder if there is some mechanism that is preventing the
>NST from going to super high currents.  If one can reliably run and NST at
>these high currents (2760 watts!!), it would be a major step forward!!  "I"
>have always been afraid to "play around" up there and I don't scare easy!
;-)))