Re: UPS powered coil?

On Tue, 14 Nov 2000 21:05:26 -0700, you wrote:

>Original poster: Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>
>
>Hi Alan,
>
>Yes!  It is thermal circuit breakered at 10 amps and could probably run a
>300 watt coil for 10+ running minutes easily.  When it is unplugged it is
>just a little 120VAC power source till the internal sealed lead acid
>battery runs down.  Probably not a big deal to run it off a bigger battery
>if one wanted to.
This can be a bad idea with small UPS's as their heatsinking is often
designed around the available run-time. Extra cooling may be required.
Be aware that some UPSs' battery terminals are not isolated from the
mains.
Cheaper UPS's put out waveforms far from ideal sinewaves - this is no
problemfor computers etc.  having switchmode PSUs which rectify the
incoming mains, but I wouldn't be surprised to see problems with some
units driving very inductive loads like NSTs etc.

..and that's before you start thinking about damage from RF kickback
etc. By all means try it but don't be surprised if it smokes!