Re: making a current transformer

Hi Adam, We just use a short length of 18ga. copper wire wound around a
pencil and aim it at the coil while it is in operation, you can play with
the length of the wire and use a straight section of wire clipped to your
high voltage probe, or other probe that your scope has.  Discretion and
experimentation is in order to get the best results on the trace pattern
of the scope, it helps to have two people do this, since one can fiddle
with the wire loop at the end of the probe while the other adjusts the
scope for the best input. But whatever you do, do not get the probe too
close to the Tesla, especially if it is a solid state scope.  The good
old tube type scopes are more forgiving but do not allow a direct hit to
ever come in contact with your probe.   Be very careful!   AL.