Re: Salient Pole Motor Modifications Questions

Adam,

This 1/4 hp 1725 rpm motor should be ideal for the salient pole
modification.  Don't worry about the aluminium strip that is visible
in the photo.  This is just one of many aluminium "shorting bars" which
run diagonally through the laminated iron rotor.

When you machine the 4 flats,  you will automatically grind into several
of these channels of Aluminium as well as the iron.

I would say that you cannot predict the "right" position to grind the
flats in advance.  It depends on the motor torque, depth of flats, disk
windage, tank capacitor,  power supply rating etc.. etc..  Best make the
phase adjustable,  then you can dial up the sweet spot.

							Cheers,

							-Richie,