Salient Pole Motor Modifications Questions

I recently obtained a 1/4 hp 120 volt 1725 rpm motor,
I'm planning on modifying for salient pole sync
operation. My motor has run windings and no run or
start cap. I have downloaded and read all of the info
available, but ran across something I'm not 100% sure
of. My motor rotor has a single shallow diagonal
groove, which appears to be partially filled with
aluminum. Please see
http://www.geocities-dot-com/yurtle_t/rotor.jpg.

My question is whether this should be in a flat,
between a flat, or does it matter at all.

Also, is there any way to predetermine where the motor
rotor will sync, relative to the mains? My motor rotor
shaft has a flatspot, originally for attaching a
pulley. I'd like the flat spot on the shaft to be more
or less straight up when my gaps should fire. That
would assist in attaching a hub to my gap rotor.

thanks again

Adam

=====
Adam Minchey