Re: What about this experiment? Was Neon Tube sources.

Hi All,

I agree that the mercury in the flourescent tubes emits UV light when
excited by
current flow,
then the phosphor coating on the tube absorbs the UV light and 'flouresces'
visible light.

However, I was in my local electrical wholesaler shop the other day, and the
place has advertising plastered all over it about these new flourescent
tubes that don't contain mercury, but suffer no loss of performance. I saw a
couple of these tubes, and they have green ends. I've no idea what they use
in place of the mercury.

(I'm in New Zealand)