[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: SRSG motor anomoly

> Original Poster: "Mark Broker" <broker-at-uwplatt.edu>

Hi Mark,

The flats (which you grinded and/or filed) should be equal with the ungound
areas between the flats. Grinding more away will not help the torque. We loose
torque when we create a snyc motor. A 1/4 HP motor is on the low edge for a
motor choice for this pupose. However, depending on the actual spark loading
(physical) at the gap and frictional losses, this may work ok anyway. Try to
keep the frictional losses down to a minimum. A larger heavy disk w/ electrodes
is also going to load it. I would suggest keeping you electrodes down to a
minimum (120 bps) and check out how it holds snyc during actual running of your
coil. It may do ok. If not, try to minimize the frictional losses. Don't use a
belt drive as this adds a great deal of phsical loading. Stick to a direct
drive rotor.

Good luck,
Bart

BTW - my SRSG is 1/3 HP motor size, and I too am on the low edge. Best to use a
1/2 HP or bigger to keep torque up to par.