Re: Dielectric Constant?

In a message dated 6/4/2000 1:33:01 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Hi all,
>         does anyone know the dielectric constant for 'car engine oil' and
its
>  puncture rate? Is it usable for a basic plate cap?
>                                                   Thanks,
>                                                               Arthur.
I have heard of using motor oil.  I would imagine it's dielectric constant is
similar to trannie oil or mineral oil.  I also heard you should use motor oil
without additives that might be conductive - like detergents.   I don't know
how you'd determine what has been added to the oil.   I think you'd be better
off using mineral or tranformer oil just to be sure.  Making a homebrew cap
can be a bit of work and it would be a shame if all that work was wasted due
to using the wrong oil.
My two cents,
Mike