Re: Can I touch my Tesla ?

Hi Chris,

On 25 Jul 00, at 12:01, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Christopher Boden" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>
> Watch closely (preferably in total darkness) and you will see
> streamers eminateing FROM the tips of the tree if it's close
> enough.
>
> Could someone explain this phenomena? It happens with held objects as well.

The obvious question is why shouldn't it happen? There is a
strong electric field in the vicinity which induces opposite
charge on surrounding objects and the concentration of charge
on those objects will be at the most pointed parts (for want
of better wording). This is observed routinely in
thunderstorms. Obviously the induction is AC in the case of a
Tesla Coil but the situation is otherwise similar. I see this
all the time when running coils. As a streamer from the coil
approaches one of these points the emission from the point
will increase which wil encourage the TC streamer to connect
with the object.

Regards,
Malcolm
<snip>