Re: double checking before first run

Hi Chris,all,

powered system, that is exactly the way that I designed my largest sys-
tem (Medusa), and I have gotten excellent results with this setup! I per-
sonally don't understand why more coilers don't opt for this arrangement.
If you think about it, that is exactly the way your local power company
wires all of their single phase pole mount xfmrs. This is obviously safer,
since as you say, there is no "floating ground", which can be an electro-
cution hazard. I know there are some fellow coilers out there who would
probably disagree with me on this, but based on my experience with this,
this is my opinion, for what it's worth. I also use a 12 kV rated lightning
arrester between the "hot" HV bushing of the pig and the ground for a
"safety gap". Hey, these babies are designed to protect the pole xfmrs
from line circuit overvoltages, such as those generated by what else than
lightning. If a lightning arrester will offer reasonable protection for the
pole
pig against natural lightning strikes (obviously extremely powerful!), then
it only stands to reason that it should be able to handily deal with any RF
kickbacks from the tank circuit. Remember, pole pigs have BIL ratings
several times their rated HV voltage ratings and for this reason, you virtu-
ally never hear of someone killing a pole pig in coiling applications. These
xfmrs are built like Ft. Knox and I seriously doubt that you could kill one
even if you used absolutely no safety gap devices in your system. But it
dosen't hurt to be safe, does it?

Good luck with your first run and keep us posted.

Keep 'um Sparkin',
David