Re: is it safe to touch???

Original poster: "boris petkovic by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <petkovic7-at-yahoo-dot-com>

> Original poster: Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>
>
> Hi Manjinder,
>
> 	Many people use full metal suits and such so they
> are basically fully
> enclosed in a very robust metal Faraday cage.  The
> few folks that do these
> stunts just with their bare hands with high power
> coils are masters of
> coiling and they simply know what they are doing.
> However, the risk is
> still very high and they know it.
>
> It's one of those things that if you have to ask
> how, you don't know
> enough...  The people I know of who periodically do
> the "human fire ball"
> stunt are:
>
> Brent Turner  http://www.teslacoil-dot-com/
> Dean Ortner
> http://www.wondersofscience-dot-org/sfs/MILLION.HTM
> Robert Krampf  http://www.krampf-dot-com/watt.html
>
> Henry Transtrom also did this stuff all the time
> till he got killed...
>
> For the rest of us, this stuff is far too dangerous
> to mess with...  Many
> past discussions are in the archives.  Searching for
> the subject "Arcs off
> the fingers and getting killed in the process..."
> pretty much has all the
> usual details.  www.pupman-dot-com
>
> One thing I have found very interesting is that
> Robert Krampf's demo
> (http://www.krampf-dot-com/watt.html) all the RF
> currents from his headband go
> right through his brain, spinal cord, etc.  (The
> "skin effect" does not
> apply to people.  In people, the skin depth is about
> a 1 meter so unless
> you are really fat...)  He says that it can give him
> real bad headaches but
> after 20 years, he has suffered no permanent damage.
>  That is sort of
> reassuring for the rest of use who like to watch
> from 10 feet away. ;-))
>
> Of course, I can't emphasize enough that people
> should never try to copy
> these stunts performed by people who have a 1000X
> our knowledge in this
> area.  Transtrom was a master of his day and his
> death is a haunting
> reminder that Tesla coils can easily kill the best
> of the experts...
>
> Personally, I never touch the arcs off ANY coils.  I
> used to all the time.
> However, the more I learn about Tesla coils, the
> further away I stand...
>
> Also, beware that the coils we build today are
> typically far more powerful
> than coils built years ago.  They are very good at
> delivering power to arcs
> and they are equally good at delivering lethal
> shocks.  MMCs can be made
> with just a few caps (like 8) now that have all the
> killing power of many
> big oil caps of years back.  As we get better at
> making even small coils at
> high power, the risks only increase.
>
> http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Safety/safety.htm

> [...]
----
Mbains,
Listen to Terry what he said above.
Using 7KVA and sitting on/actually serving as TC
terminal ,insulated of course, dissipates  HF energy
mostly in air corona impedance.but still few houndreds
of watts are  dissipated directly in a body anywayz.
WHO research data on this issue says that 800 watts of
RF Mhz power dissipated on way legs-arm is very
dangerous for average person (long term damages).
Where line should be drawn you be the judge.
As concerns drawing out connected arc to ground in
this case ,not even think about it-result would be
injury or death.
Always,and again all this is RF energy.Leathel one.

Safe coiling to you,
Regards,
Boris