Re: Pig PFC (was Re: Inductive Kick LTR Pig Systems)

In a message dated 8/29/00 11:53:34 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Original poster: Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>
>
>  Hi John,
>
>  "I" have not seen a Tesla coil that could appear only "resistive" to the AC
>  line without PFC caps.  Typically, they have very poor power factor!  Am I
>  missing something?

Terry, John C, all,

My 120 bps sync gap coil running on a potential transformer shows
a 90 % power factor without pfc caps, when the sync phase and
ballast are adjusted correctly for best overall efficiency giving
42" sparks at 570 watts and about 620 VA.  I've posted the results
of these various tests in the past on the list.  I can't see any
reason why the power factor should be bad when the ballast Xl
cancels the tank cap's Xc (and can compensate for any other
reactive components that might exist).

Cheers,
John Freau