Re: Failure mode of MMC's

Hi Terry, All..

Good news!  I tore down my MMC to individual strings,and came up
around 5.2nf(5.0-5.2 range) for each.  So my MMC is good.  The caps
look good, no cracks, no blistering, no nothing.  I am running the
7 strings of 11 the MMC Calc suggested (woohoo!), so tomorrow I
look at the trannies for dead legs (which I suspect after a bit of
testing this afternoon, 'cause a set of 2 of 'em gave *no* output
on the gap at all.  No buzz, no nothing, so I think I gots a few
dead trannies.

  I hang my head low, as I wasn't using a saftey gap on this (never
used one on a static gap system, and didn't have the spare
electrodes to use on a sync gap), but I've learned the error of my
ways.  I'll be assembling a saftey gap for the sync gap...Flame me
not...The good thing...The trannies that are good will be put to
good use!  I was going to re-wire the whole lot of 'em anyway on
the HV side.  So I'll be sure to post what happened.  I'm strongly
suspecting a dead tranny or two now...But!  Not a huge deal, as I
probably have found the  PT's I've so desparately sought. I'll post
more on that when I get the info from the guy selling them..

On those, I'll aim for scrap prices ($1 per kva), and offer the
ones I don't use to the list.  I can't promise, as I am paying for
surgery and a slew of other things right now, but if I can, I'll
offer them at what I paid, plus shipping.  "Share and enjoy!", is
the motto for that.  I believe there's 4 up for sale, so I'll try
for all 4 if I can.  Again, no promises, but I'll do my best.

Back on track now...The MMC's have performed admirably!  A standing
ovation to Terry for his work on the MMC front!  We all salute you
for providing us medium-grade-guys a cheap and super-good tank cap
for the buck!  Kudos and a standing ovation to the guys who handle
the bulk buys! (Dave, Terry, others!), who make the MMC affordable
for the masses...we all drool over the Maxwell and Plastic
Capacitors caps..., but can't justify the cost for a "hobby."  take
a bow, guys, you deserve it!

Tomorrow brings more work, and lots to do.  Till then, keep it
sparkin', and keep it safe!

Shad