Re: Failure mode of MMC's

Hi Sundog,

The numbers for your set up are:
===========================
MMC Calculator  Ver. 2.1  2/19/2000  Terry Fritz
Transformer voltage =  12000
Transformer current =  .18
Firing voltage =  16970.52
Fo =  250000
Break rate =  120
Cap value =  5.6E-08

Strings  Caps/Str  Capacitance  Voltage   Temp C    Cost
  3        5         33.60         8000    19.75   21.75  :-((  :-(
  5        8         35.00        12800     7.71   58.00  :-((  :-)
  6       10         33.60        16000     4.94   87.00  :-|   :-))
  7       11         35.64        17600     4.08  111.65  :-))  :-))
  8       13         34.46        20800     2.92  150.80  :-))  :-))
  9       14         36.00        22400     2.52  182.70  :-))  :-))
=====================================

so if your using an MMC larger than 5 x 8 caps (I assume your are using
Panasonic) you cap should be fine.

If they over volt, they either recover or blow the case.  Over current may
melt them down internally but the case should still cook as they short.  If
one has failed, you can rip it open to see if it was explosive (over
voltage) or melted (over current) damage.

Of course, your running the coil with a resonant cap so over voltage is a
real possibility and you should have safety gaps properly set.  The gap may
fire at more than 120BPS to depending...  Your coil really could handle
about 100nF!

I suspect you will find a dead leg on one of the NSTs.  If you are not
using safety gaps and filters, you may want to consider the following:

http://users.better-dot-org/tfritz/NSTFilt.jpg

If you did blow a cap, I would love to know the number of strings and
cap/string you were using and hear of the damage they had.  I can trade you
for some caps I can look at in person if the failure of the caps is some
MMC problem that I need to look into...

I often use washers as cooling fins on my rotary gap electrodes as is
fuzzily shown below:  I have a nice new camera now so future pics should be
far better :-))

http://users.better-dot-org/tfritz/newcoil/114.jpg

Glad to here your coiling is providing so much fun!!

Cheers,

	Terry Fritz