[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Heat-sink spark-gap

> Original Poster: "Ted Rosenberg" <Ted.Rosenberg-at-radioshack-dot-com>
>

> Dan: I have learned much over the last 12 months. As for static gaps,
copper is
> IN, and aluminum is OUT.

Snip...
In principal you are right Ted, and maybe not without reason: the thermal
resistance of aluminum is twice as much as that of copper. Aluminum however
does radiate heath to the environment a lot faster then copper! So,
especially when using finned forms, aluminum is the better choice (and is
also cheaper). That's the reason that Al is used so much for heat-sinks. For
a spark-gap maybe a combination of the two metals is the best, because
copper has probably lesser electrical losses.

Ruud de Graaf