[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Extra coil and (magnifier characteristics)

<<
> by connecting the 2 coils  in "series" like that ( thats what i
> understand what you did ) you lost ALOT of power thru the connecting
> wire   e.g. all that great corona ;)   you lost even more power by
> seperating the 2nd coil from the primary field ...   and since the 2
> coils were "exactly " alike you lost the 1/8 wave you needed for a
> magnifyer type of set up ...

Magnifiers do not use any 1/8th wave concepts, but I see what you're
saying; the extra coil should have more inductance than the secondary
which is true.  Magnifiers do not give any spark length benefits compared
with normal TC's.  In general, extra inductance in the secondary can
often increase the spark length of a classic TC.  For instance in a
recent test, I installed a larger secondary onto my small TC, and the
spark length increased by 57%.  Some folks may have benefited from
this effect when converting their TC's to magnifiers, and may have
mistakenly attributed the spark increase to the magnifier design,
whereas the real benefit was from the extra overall sec/extra coil
inductance.  The same benefit would be realized by increasing the
inductance of the original TC.

cheers,
John Freau