[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Second Light! Yahoo!

After a little tweaking of the coil I've been writing about here, I managed
to put on quite a show with "Loki" (that's the coil's name :)

Modification:

Top Load:			Al dryer duct, 5.30" x 13.25"

Primary:			Tapped at 8.5 turns

Spark Gap:		Two brass door knobs, 25 psi Carbon Dioxide jet (I don't own a
compressor, but I do have a CO2 cylinder from my beer homebrewing
misadventures :)

Before I applied the CO2 jet, the coil produced a few intermittant, weak,
and wispy purple streamers.  The appearance of these streamers was out of
phase with the noise from the gap (when the streamers appeared, the gap got
quieter.)  However, with the CO2 jet applied, the coil produced bright
white arcs that persisted, striking my garage door and then rising on the
heated, ionized air, much like a Jacob's Ladder.

I called my wife into the garage, told her to stand at the far end of the
garage, and put her fingers in her ears.  I put in my hearing protection,
turned off the lights, and......

Sizzling streamers topping out at about 2 feet!  I'll need to move the coil
outside to see what kind of range I can get with Loki.  The arcs kept on
hitting the garage door.

After about ten seconds of high voltage beauty, I faintly heard something
behind me, over Loki's roar.  I finally realized it was my wife, screaming
at me to turn it off!  I did so, took out my ear plugs, and asked what she
thought.

Unharmed, but smiling nervously, she said our marriage doesn't have a
"crazy clause."

Hee hee.

The only things I can think about now are pole pigs...

Bwhaa-haa-haa,

I, Arc