[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Re : resistive V inductive ballast

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Bill the arcstarter" <arcstarter-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>
> Michael Tucknott <Michael.Tucknott-at-virgin-dot-net> wrote:

as far as fully "resistive" components to control current input to a pig....
I spent a small fortune on electric hot water heater elements with the
intent to
run them in paralell (but in series as a set to the pig) with switches to turn
on and off each element. What i found was that yes it does control the current
going into the pig  BUT ... it also reduces the voltage ( the more elements
turned on = more amps to the pig). It seems kind of defeating to go about it
this way ....   having great current control but to only see the supply voltage
going to the pig drop to 150 or so volts ( with a 40 or so amp current draw
thru
the elements) Output from my TC was at best very minimal , an occasional single
streamer of 24" would pop out. Previously I had my welding machine hooked up in
series with the pig...  I got great results ...  6-8 foot long streamers or
multiple 4-5 foot long bolts of miniature lightning ;) ... but alas the
insulation on the primary windings of the welder got a bit toasty, needless to
say i had to retire the welder from coil applications and return it to a
life of
welding only.

Now    here is my question.........

why am i seeing such a drastic drop in voltage by going to a resistive ballast
compared to the inductive ballast i was once using????

Scot D