[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: help - topload

Hmmm.  Unlike my case and some others, you started getting the racing sparks
when you _increased_ the number of primary turns.  Your secondary length
seems somewhat short for the power level you're operating at.  Perhaps your
coil is operating more efficiently at the lower frequency due to the larger
toroid, and the reason you didn't get the racing sparks previously was that
it just wasn't pushing out the same power to the topload?  You should be
able to do better than 24" with a 12/60.  Pure speculation...

Regards, Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA

		Original Poster: Stan <sdarling-at-columbus.rr-dot-com>

		Hello folks, my coil is as follows:

		12/60 NST
		8 seriesed Victoreen spark gaps
		safety gap
		11.16 nF EMMC
		.25" Cu tubing .4" spacing, 15 total turns, flat pancake
		16" of 22AWG on 4" PVC

		My previous toroid was aluminum ducting, 4" diameter, 16"
		center-to-center.  With this, coil tuned at about 7.2 turns
and I got
		about 2' or a little of output.  No problems with downward
strikes at
		all, and no racing sparks.  I just made and tried out a 6"
diameter, 18"
		center-to-center toroid instead.  I tried retuning at 9
turns and got
		massive racing sparks.  I even raised the toroid about 3"
more than the
		old one and still the same.  Where am I screwing up?

		TIA

		-Stan