[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Questions

On Sun, 10 Oct 1999, Spud wrote:

> Is the "strike rail" above the primary of much importance?  Is it connected
> to anything?  I am just gathering ideas off of the photos and descriptions
> I see, so the rest I am asking the mailing list.  :)
>
> 	Ryan

The strike rail is for recieving hits from the secondary.  It is connected
to ground, typically the same ground at the base of the coil.  This
diverts the high voltage spark away from the primary, which is really good
since most caps aren't designed to handle the voltage at the top of a
coil.  Basically the strike rail saves the primary circuit and power
supply from being blasted from a large discharge.

Chip